Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Karate Kid

The Bough Family started a Martial Arts class at our church this past March and it was time for us to compete. Tom conveniently had to work, so it was me and the kids with Stephen insisting that I compete. I opted out of Kumite (sparring) and decided that it was safe enough to enter the Kata (forms) competition. I was pleased that I did my forms clean and at the best possible, but knew that I wouldn't win since I didn't have a formal Kata yet. Stephen, on the other hand, did both Kata and Kumite. He won second in the Kata and first in Kumite. I included video his Kata and the first of his two sparring matches since he figured out an easy way to win towards the end. You will see him score his last two points by tapping the kid on the head. In the end, this is how he won his division since no one could reach their foot above his belt or compete with his 'wing span'. Clever kid!

Sorry, no video of me. I was lucky to get Stephen to his events and make it just in time for my own. I didn't trust Rhea with the video camera, so you'll have to wait until next time. Oh, this was taken in our church gym since it was our own tournament. Rhea helped at the trophy table the whole day!! We were very proud of her too and she received a ton of compliments on her helpfulness and behavior. Go GIRL and congrats to Stephen!!

Click on the lower left hand corner not the center of the frame to view video.





No comments: